For Immediate Release 1/9/2020

Polk Central Appraisal District has mailed Rendition Forms and Reminds Businesses to Render their Taxable Property by April 15

If you own tangible personal property that is used to produce income, you must file a rendition with the Polk Central Appraisal District.

A rendition is a report that lists all the taxable property you owned or controlled on Jan.   1 of this year. Property includes inventory and equipment used by a business. Owners   do not have to render exempt property, such as church property or an agriculture producer’s equipment used for farming.

“The appraisal district may use the information submitted in the rendition to set property values,” said Chad Hill.

You can also file a report of decreased value to notify the appraisal district of significant   depreciation of your property. “For example, if your property was damaged by a storm,   flood or fire last year, you should file a report of decreased value. The appraisal district will look at your property before assigning a value,” said Hill.

For most property types, renditions must be filed after Jan. 1 and no later than April 15. 

Different deadlines apply in certain appraisal districts. A property owner may apply, in writing, for a mandatory extension to May 15.

Rendition statements and property reports for property located in an appraisal district in    which one or more taxing units exempt freeport property under Tax Code Section

11.251 must be delivered no later than April 1. A property owner may apply, in writing, for a mandatory extension to May 1.

Different deadlines apply for regulated properties. 

A 10 percent to 50 percent penalty may be imposed  if a rendition is filed late,

incomplete or not at all. Property owners who need more time to file their renditions 

may file a written request with the chief appraiser on or before  the rendition deadline  to receive an automatic extension, if allowed.

The chief appraiser may extend the deadline another 15 days for good cause shown in writing by the property owner for each type of property. 

For more information about rendering property, deadline extensions, penalties and rendition forms, taxpayers may contact the Polk Central Appraisal District at: 

936-327-2174. or Information is also available from the 

Comptroller’s Property Tax Assistance Division’s website